If you experience an orthodontic emergency in Lowell, Massachusetts, Dr. Lala and Dr. Bednarz recommend doing the following things:
• If you have a loose bracket or band and it is still attached to the wire, your orthodontists ask that you leave it in place. If it is giving you discomfort, you can place wax over it. If the band or bracket comes out of your mouth completely, please save it and bring it into the office with you during your next visit.
• If a wire has come out of place and is irritating your gums or cheeks, gently tuck the wire back into place with a pencil eraser or with a popsicle stick. If it is impossible to do so, place wax over the wire until your next visit.
• If your wire becomes loose, try and place it back in its place with tweezers. If you cannot do so, clip the wire with fingernail clippers behind the last tooth to which it is securely fastened. If this causes discomfort, place wax on it.
• If you lose an appliance, such as head gear or a retainer, call Orthodontic Associates of New England as soon as you can. We want to make sure your treatment is not delayed for too long.
• If your appliance causes irritations in your mouth, like on your gums, cheeks or lips, rinse your mouth with salt water and place wax over the part of your appliance that is causing the irritation.
If you are experiencing any other dental emergency, we recommend giving us a call and talking to a member of our team.